Commemorating, remembering, learning at the Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site
Every year more than 900 000 people from all over the world visit this site. The Dachau Concentration Camp has become a symbol of the horrors of National Socialist terror. The memorial site is dedicated to the remembrance of the victims of these crimes.
The grounds of the Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site, at the authentic location with historic and reconstructed buildings, exhibitions and memorials, are spacious and complex. A personal tour with a qualified guide is best suited for an exploration of the memorial’s grounds and the museum. The guides are familiar with the location, its history and the historical background. They are able to convey what happened here and what is still of concern to us today.
The Dachauer Forum is an institution of Catholic Adult Education in the district of Dachau. Some 75 committed and comprehensively qualified citizens from Dachau, Munich and the surrounding area have accompanied more than 300 000 visitors through the memorial site for more than 35 years.
Guided Tours at the Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site
What our Educational Services offer you.
Depending on your interests we offer various educational services at the Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site: History shapes Identity and creates obligations. This fundamental belief is the basis for the work of over 75 fully trained Dachauer Forum tour guides in the Dachau Concentration camp memorial site for many years. We offer tours in German, English, French, Italian, Polish, Slowak and Spanish. Next to overview tours, we also offer thematic tours and digital formats on various topics. Thematic guided tours and study days include a guided overview tour of the memorial site, but exceed it in terms of content, method and duration. At numerous stops during the tour of the memorial site and during the subsequent reflexion period in a study room at the memorial site you will learn more deeply about a specific aspect of the history of National Socialism and how this relates to our own lives today.
Group Guided overview tours
You will receive an overview on the history of the concentration camp, the people who were imprisoned here and their environment at authentic locations at the memorial site such as the former parade ground, the „Bunker“, the „Jourhaus“ entrance building, the crematorium, as well as the permanent exhibition. Some of the covered topics: The Nazi Era and the system of the concentration camps, the functions of the Dachau concentration camp, the prisoners and their fate, the daily routine in the concentration camp. Conversations and reflection with participants form part of the tour.
We offer tours in the following languages: German, English, French, Spanish, Italian, Polish, Slovak, Russian
Duration: about 2.5 hours
Cost per group and tour guide: 90.00 €
Thematic Guided Tours & Study Days
for Groups at the Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site
Thematic guided tours and study days include a guided overview tour of the memorial site, but exceed it in terms of content, method and duration. Your group can focus on a particular aspect of the history of National Socialism and learn lessons for the future at individual stops during the tour and a reflexion period in a study room at the memorial site.
- Thematic guided tour: Perpetrators during National Socialism: Profiles, Motives – and the „Member of the SS in Ourselves”
- Thematic guided tour: Moral Courage Then – Moral Courage Now: Follower, Bystander, Feigning Ignorance…?
Languages: German, English
Duration: Thematic guided tour: 4 hours, Study day: 6 hours (including lunch break)
Cost per group and tour guide: Thematic guided tour: 140 € , Study day: 190 €
for your visit
The Memorial Site
Opening hours daily from 9 AM to 5 PM, admission free.
We recommend visiting the memorial site from September to March, if possible, as visitor numbers are extremely high from April to July.
How to find us
- by public transport from Munich (S2 Dachau / Petershausen / Altomünster, about 20 min from Munich central station to Dachau). For further information, please click here.
- in Dachau by bus 726 (direction “Saubachsiedlung”) to the Concentration Camp Memorial Site (about 10 min)
- or by car/coach
Via the Autobahn A8 or A9; The Memorial Site is in Dachau-Ost and is well indicated with traffic signs. Next to the Memorial Site there is a parking area (with parking fees, to be paid in cash).
For further information visit https://www.kz-gedenkstaette-dachau.de/en/your-visit/directions/
Parking lot of the Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site: Alte Roemerstrasse 73, 85221 Dachau
Visitor Center, information desk and entrance to the Concentration Camp: Pater-Roth-Str. 2a, 85221 Dachau
Bibliography and Literature
- Video film: “Dachau Concentration Camp“. The video film shown at the Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site can be used for preparation and follow-up. If you live in Bavaria the film can be taken out on loan from the Landesmediendienste Bayern (Media Services Bavaria): www.landesmediendienste-bayern.de, email@example.com, Tel. +49 (0)89/ 38 16 09 15
- Barbara Distel, Wolfgang Benz, Das Konzentrationslager Dachau 1933-1945. Geschichte und Bedeutung, München: Landeszentrale für politische Bildung 1994.
- Stanislav Zámeçník, Das war Dachau, Frankfurt/Main: Fischer TB 2006 [EA Luxemburg 2002].
- Jean Bernard, Pfarrerblock 25487. Dachau 1941-42, Luxemburg: éditions Saint Paul 2004.
- Max Mannheimer, Spätes Tagebuch: Theresienstadt – Auschwitz – Warschau – Dachau, Zürich/München: Pendo 2000.
- Nico Rost, Goethe in Dachau, Berlin: Volk & Welt 1999 [EA 1948]
Literature in English
- Dachau and the Nazi Terror (Volume 1): 1933 – 1945. Testimonies and Memories.
- Dachau and the Nazi Terror (Volume 2): 1933 – 1945. Studies and Reports. Edited by Wolfgang Benz and Barbara Distel. Dachau, 2002.
- Stanislav Zámeçník, That was Dachau 1933-1945, Fondation internationale de Dachau. Paris: le cherche midi, 2004
- Online-offers of the Memorial Site
- Gabriele Hammermann, Stefanie Pilzweger-Steiner, KZ-Gedenktätte Dachau. Ein Rundgang, München 2018.
Find more literature in the bookshops at the memorial site.
The Tour Guides of Dachauer Forum
Our tour guides are citizens of Dachau, Munich and surrounding areas who contribute to the education service of the Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site in their free time and receive a fee per tour taken. They successfully passed a training course and attend continuous professional development events.
The current guides of the Dachauer Forum:
Emma Alborghetti, Giles Bennett, Karin Birnstiel, Viola Bögeholz-Rastelli, Verena Brunel, Claudia Buchfelder, Claudia Candidori-Girard, Kerstin Cser, Clarissa Cutillo, Dr. Doris Danzer, Christian Denkmann, Sandra Dentler, Karin Dinger-Tausche, Davida Düring, Franziska Düring, Angelika Ei-senmann, Hedy Esters, Luisa Ferrero-Heinz, Brigitte Fiedler, Rosemarie Fleischer, Stefania Gavaz-za-Zuber, Anna Gierut, Sr. M. Elinor Grimm, Eva Gruberova, Michael Haas, Frédérique Haegele, Hans-Peter Hagedorn, Marco Hein, Brigitte Hillreiner, Dr. Eva Hoegner, Bernhard Ismayr, Eba Jänsch, Dr. Tanja Jörgensen-Leuthner, Ilse Keßler, Nina Kiel, Antje Klatte, Maria Knöpfle, Dr. Monika Kraemer, Bernd Kroeger, Dr. Tobias Kroeger, Franz Kronseder, Dr. Simon Lattke, Julia Leithoff, Monika Lücking, Lilly Maier, Raffaela Merlini Zanghi, Gerd Modert, Stefanie Montrone, Dr. Elly Ott, Dr. Christiane Otzdorff, Stefanie Perfler, Christine Plitt, Josef Pröll, Maurizia I. Puglia, Sabine Puhl-fürst, Sibylle Reinicke, Zbigniew Rejek Czaplicki, Dr. Jörn Retterath, Helmut Rez, Rebecca Ribarek, Anja Riedel, Hans-Peter Riemann, Antje Roser-Huckle, Christian Schauer, Nina Schiffner, Lili Schlumberger-Dogu, Marion Schmidt, Gisela Schober, Bernhard W. Schoner, Rosemarie Schreiner, Kilian Schultheiß, Karin Schwenke, Bernhard Selmaier, Dr. Marc Stegherr, Nicole Steng, Hans Thiele, Stefan Treiber, Ulrich Unseld, Manuela Walenta, Peter Wolter.
Further Contacts and Links
- Bavarian Central Office for Civic Education / 089-2186-2172
- Society for the Promotion of International Youth Meetings and Memorial Site Education in Dachau / 08131-83303
- Book of Remembrance for the detainees of Dachau Concentration Camp / 08131-99688-16
- Josef Effner Gymnasium (Sixth Form College) / 08131-664720
- Youth Hostel Dachau / 08131-322950
- Catholic pastoral care at the Concentration Camp Memorial Site / 08131-321731
- Carmelite Convent of the Holy Blood / 08131-21068
- Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site / 08131-669070
- Bistro and Cafe at the visitor center of the Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site
- The Max Mannheimer Study Center and Youth Hostel Dachau
- Memorial Site Forum Online
- Dachau Tourist Information Office / 08131-75286 o. -87
- Foundation Topography of Terror / 030-254509-0
- Association „Zum Beispiel Dachau“ (For Example Dachau)
- Protestant Church of Reconciliation Action Reconciliation / 08131-13644
- Memorial site – educational materials for schools
Training Course for Tour Guides at the Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site
The Dachauer Forum offers training courses in cooperation with the education department of the Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site and the Max-Mannheimer Study Center. The participants are meticulously prepared for future work with the visitors of the memorial site. The duration of the course is about eight months and consists of three sections: Imparting and acquisition of a knowledge base and practical aspects of memorial site education (approx. five months), accompanying experienced tour guides (approx. two months) and conducting a tour with expert evaluation.
Those who successfully complete the course are permitted to conduct tours of the Memorial Site for the three course convening organisations. After corresponding further training, they can also offer seminars. Interested candidates with very good language skills in English, French, Italian and Spanish are particularly encouraged to apply.
If you are interested in more information or if you are considering attending the next training course, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call.